Friday, August 10, 2018

ANYONE CAN MAKE THEIR OWN BBQ RUB!

I've read enough BBQ cookbooks and smoked enough BBQ to know:  
 ANYONE CAN MAKE THEIR OWN BBQ RUB!

Here's a basic recipe that you can use:
2 Tbsp of paprika
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ground cinammon
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt

Here in Texas this is the way to go:
1 part kosher salt
2 parts 16 mesh pepper (16 mesh pepper is a  coarser grind than table grind)  Regular table grind is a bit too strong for BBQ.  You can use it, just know that 16 mesh is better.
Paprika for color (optional)

A quick search in the interwebs will turn up hundreds of rubs.  You just have to try one and see if you like it.  For me Salt, Pepper and Garlic is good enough for most backyard bbq's.

Thats it!  The rest is good clean smoke and a lot of time and BBQ practice.

After many years of BBQ'n, trial and error and lots of research I finally made my own seasoning.  I I call it, Chef Mike's 24K Spice Blend.  Ingredients include Paprika, Garlic, Pepper, Jalapeno, Salt, Cumin and a bit of Accent. For the Sweet Rib and Brisket Rub version I add some light brown sugar
A little note about Accent (MSG) Some people have an aversion to Accent (Monosodium Glutamate).   I have noticed many big time rubs, seasonings, etc. have a fair share of MSG in them.   Doritos, Cheetos, Takis,  all types of chips and lots of condiments have MSG.  Why do they use it?  Because it tastes GOOD!  I say use it.  Its not necessary, but when you get a chance do side by side taste test.  The difference is noticeable.   Don't add too much as it can take over, just use enough to enhance the flavor, just like salt. 
    My 24k Spice blend should be up for sale this month at onetwothreesalsa.com.  Heres some pics and a video of some 24k Spice Chicken Breasts.....MMMMMM...








No comments:

Post a Comment