Thursday, September 5, 2013

Which wood to smoke with

I have tried Oak, Pecan, Hickory, Mesquite.  Out of those for I think I like the flavor of mesquite the best, while the long slow steady burn of oak wood is nice for BBQ'n.  My next smoke will be a mix of the two.  Easy on the Mesquite because it can overpower.
Fruitwoods like Apple and Cherry and all that good stuff are generally lighter on the smoke flavor so they tend to be better for Fish, Poultry.  I think big cuts like brisket and pork shoulder hold up well to Mesquite and bolder woods like hickory.
I will share my findings and opinions so stay with me!

Updated 9/6/13
Just smoked a brisket with hickory.  Came out great.  Good sweet smokey flavor.  I am learning that bigger beefy meats like a pork shoulder or a brisket hold up better to bolder woods like mesquite and hickory.  
Fruitwoods like applewood, alderwood, cherry seem to be better for chicken and light colored meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment